The decision to hire a lawyer can be difficult. Although individuals or businesses are sometimes looking for a lawyer when times are good, more often than not, an attorney is needed in stressful times. In either case, it can be difficult to decide which attorney to hire, especially if you have never hired one before. It is important to find a lawyer who is skilled and experienced, but who is also easy to work with, will listen to your concerns, and will solve your problem.
When you hire Doug to represent you, his primary goal is to find a solution to your matter in the simplest, most efficient way possible. His practice includes both transactions and litigation. Doug mediates, arbitrates, and litigates cases involving real estate, contracts, business, probate and estates, family law, banking, and construction, among others. As an arbitrator and mediator himself, Doug brings a perspective and set of skills to cases that other attorneys may not have. Doug has also won a number of significant cases in Washington’s appellate courts and the state supreme court.
Although Doug strives to find simple solutions to problems, some cases are complex. It is these complicated cases that require an attorney who can simplify the issues for both the client and the court. By writing articles and teaching seminars to community groups and other attorneys, Doug tries to practice the skills that help him make complex issues more understandable. Doug believes that if he succeeds in this goal, it results in better outcomes and happier clients.
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
- Seattle University, School of Law, Seattle, Washington, 1996
J.D., Honors: Cum Laude, American Jurisprudence Award, Excellence in Legal Writing
- University of Redlands, Redlands, California, 1993
B.A., Honors: Magna Cum Laude, Colwell Prize in American Government
Major: Political Science
Minor: Business Administration
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Washington State Bar Association – Member
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association – Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Business Law Section – Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division – Former Member, Legislative Committee
- Washington State Bar Association, Real Property and Probate Section – Member
- Pierce County Superior Court Panel of Arbitrators – Member
- In his spare time, Doug enjoys outdoor activities with his family such as golf, skiing, hiking, camping, and cycling.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Business Commercial Law
- Construction Law
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Albice v. Premier Mortgage Services, 276 P.3d 1277 (Washington Supreme Court 2012)
- In re the Estates of Palmer v. World Gospel Mission, 146 Wn.App. 132, 189 P.3d 230 (Washington State Court of Appeals, Division II 2008)
- In re the Estate of Burks, 124 Wn.App. 327, 100 P.3d 328 (Washington State Court of Appeals, Division II 2004)
- Maintaining an Ethical Practice, National Business Institute, December 17, 2009
- Handling Claims Against the Estate and Insolvency Issues, National Business Institute, December 17, 2009
- Closing the Estate, National Business Institute, September 24, 2009
- Overcoming Liabilities Challenges and Managing Distributions in Probate, National Business Institute, September 22, 2008
- Being Thorough to Close the Estate Without a Hitch, National Business Institute, August 8, 2011, December 12, 2013
- Breach of Contract, National Business Institute, July 23, 2012
I use Mr. Kiger for legal advice and to deal with homeowners who are in arrears with their HOA Dues. His office handles everything from filing liens to sending collection letters and all other legal matters including foreclosures. Mr. Kiger has been our lawyer for over 10 years and we have no intention to look for someone else.
– B.W. (Homeowner Association matter)
Doug Kiger’s performance from day one through litigation has been nothing short of spectacular. I could not have retained a better attorney to represent my interests in my absence. Information and updates concerning the status were consistently provided in a timely manner and fashion. Documentation was constantly forwarded via the mail for my personal records in an organized manner. Mr. Kiger’s ability to research the law and always answer questions asked or information needed was nothing short of exceptional. His honesty and sincerity while handling my case developed a trust in his ability that always allowed me to feel confident my case was being handled by a true professional who had my best interests at heart.
– R.H. (Real Estate)
“Doug has provided legal advice and service with business issues; estate planning; and real estate land issues providing legal advice and legal documents. He has been competent; informed; and without the typical lawyer hurbris. He works with clients and is not pretentious; condescending; and dismissive.”
“I am so very grateful that I have chosen your firm, and you [Doug] specifically, because I truly believe that your honesty has saved me the burden of expenses beyond what might otherwise have been cost effective in this matter.”
“Please congratulate Doug on a job well done not only on my behalf but my children’s as well. As a single parent providing our only source of income, the settlement of this case has allowed me to buy a new home and lessened the financial burden and stress all due to his successful litigation on my behalf.”